Tuesday, May 26, 2009

My first attempt at gardening of any kind!

Planting flowers is a lot more expensive than I had thought it would be. I ended up spending almost $100, but that was because I had to buy a spade.... and I accidentally bought a magazine that was $10 (unbeknownst to me). What's up with magazine's being $10?  Anywhooo... Here's the begining of the planing process. I have no yard, so I did it in the back walkway porch area of my apartment.  

Whoa, I look really tired in this photo. Probably because I was! 

Looks ok, right? Well, I put stones and such on the bottom, in case the soil got dry and the wind picked up....so it woudln't tip over. But I worry that I didn't give my plants enough room for root growth. We'll have to see about that. My coworker told me that you can actually cut off the bottom 25% of a plants roots when it becomes planter-bound, and it wont hurt them at all! Hmmmm..... Here they are all done. I spray painted 3 plastic containers red. I might spray the metal green container as well...so that they all match. Perty, eh? Let's hope they live! I read that I should start seeing real growth in about 4 weeks. Stay tuned...

No comments: